Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Some in-spiration

Past weeks – or years – I have been dealing with space, or better said, the lack of it, in many levels and areas of my life and also in my body. Today I decided to search for inspiration from Thomas’ teachings on this matter.

“There are people with a lot of knowledge but without space to use it. Their head is so full of it that they don’t have fun anymore”, Thomas once said and continued: “Knowledge that has not been lived in your muscles and in your bones stays theory.”

He teaches: “Instead of trying to fit all the complex knowledge into our brain we can understand overall systems that function on different levels in the same way. Turning knowledge into form and physical experience.“

This lead me to ask, how to bring at least part of this information I collected in my mind and body, these feelings I observed in me, these ideas I came up with, from my head to my body, to my muscles and cells, to physical form and experience? How to change knowledge into experience? How to give my thoughts a physical form? Why do I feel I don't have space for it in my life, although I might theoretically know how to make it happen?

An echo from my brain whispered the words Thomas said to me after I told him about my first public concert. He said: “Singing is not about your first public concert and how you make it, it is about doing your breathing exercises every single day.”

My brain alarmed of information I stored there at some point of my life: In Latin, the word for breath is spiritus. From the same origin we get the words spirit, inspire and inspiration. It also implies there is something spiritual in breathing.

Could it be, that this advice from Thomas, which sounded so simple back then, carries a deeper message for me, too? Could it be that it contains an answer to my human question on how to make space? Could it be that it is an overall system I use everywhere: collecting information in different forms and not creating something out of it because there is no space for that in my life - as my in-spiration is not enough; not in my body and thus not in any other area of my life?

Could it that by focusing on my breathing I could create space? Could it be that by changing this in my body it would change also in other areas of my life?

Could it simply be that to find the inspiration, to be able to inspire, to find my spirit again – all I need to do is breathe; to come back to my body? And this would create all the space I feel I need? Just by getting thoroughly inspired... in-spired.

I thought I was looking for space. But if I am accurate, I decided to search for inspiration from Thomas’ teachings. Seems there is a possibility I found them both.

Worth to give it a try, don’t you think?

Laura Karlsson

No comments:

Post a Comment