Friday, January 15, 2010

WHY WOULD YOU HESITATE IF YOU GOT A GREAT CHANCE OFFERED?



We stand there, in the middle of this shopping mall and he somehow offered me a great position in his company. “I want you to be my right hand”, he said. And instead of giving space to the excitement inside of me to come up and out, to find it’s expression, I realize myself calculating, thinking, weighing…

Why? Why this? Life gives me a great opportunity. And me? What do I do with it? I feel insecure, fear, doubts…
It is not really the bright side I am walking on… it is my choice how I look at the situations in life. It is my interpretation that creates my feelings… so what the hell….

Thomas looks at me and is – disappointed? Maybe.
When I tell him about my fears ad doubts, he gives me a metaphor:

“Of course you would not want to go on a ride to Germany, with an old Polo. It is exhausting and no fun. You would not even get the idea that you could take a longer road to see the North Sea. But if you sit in a Bentley, you would not mind even crossing through Italy, having a short stop over France. Because it is fun.
Of course you doubt that the trip will be fun, when you did not even sit down in this fast and luxurious car, but imagine you would be going the whole way with your old Polo.”

Yes, he is right. It stresses me, to imagine the long way. And yes, I feel already now exhausted just thinking of it.

Two years ago I was working in a pretty responsible position. I have been building up a company and a foundation. I gave all I had and could - and I somehow failed. It didn’t have the expected success and I came out with nothing - besides many important experiences – but nothing graspable. It took me now two years, to “recover”. To get confidence, to fill up my deposits after a certain burn out.

So this great and amazing offer triggers a fear. A fear that is there to protect me. To protect me from doing the same mistakes. Which is basically a nice thing… but what does it help me, if I can’t see that it is different today. And that it keeps me from having an amazing ride through Europe in a Bentley?
This fear might be a natural re-action, but I need to work it. I need to grow over these limits, that I defined in my past to keep me safe. Because today this security would stop me developing and would become contra productive – as growth and development are my nutrition today.
So I need to clean out now. Face my old fears and make me understand and feel the changes that happened till today. I am not the same person. I won’t need to make the same experiences. I did so many steps in between. I learned a lot out of these old experiences.

And I need to take a decision. Do I want to take a ride in a fast car, that has a great quality and with which we will do a great trip?

My body radiates happiness imagining the trip. Everything inside of me shivers. And I know – I want.



Coco A. Achinger

No comments:

Post a Comment